McHenry Museum
Introduction
Exhibits
Current Exhibits
Past Exhibits
Tour Information
Historical Society
Books on Local History

McHenry Mansion
Introduction
Admission and Rentals
Mansion Foundation
4th of July Celebration

Special Events

Community Links

The McHenry Mansion, built in 1883 by Robert McHenry, prominent local rancher/banker, is a fine example of the Victorian Italianate style of architecture. In 1923, it was converted into apartments and remained as such until 1976 when the Julio R. Gallo Foundation purchased it and donated it to the City of Modesto for restoration and for community use. The Mansion is decorated and furnished with antiques appropriate to the period when Robert and his wife, Matilda inhabited the Mansion (1883-1896). Two rooms on the second floor, a bedroom and adjoining sitting room, reflect the period when their son resided in the Mansion (1896-1906). Today, the Mansion is open for tours and is the site of many weddings, receptions and special events.

The McHenry Mansion is on the National Register of Historic places. It is owned and operated by the City of Modesto. The McHenry Mansion Foundation, a nonprofit, advisory group, was established in 1983 to provide additional support.

The McHenry Mansion is accredited by the American Association of Museums.

Robert McHenry
Robert McHenry

Matilda McHenry
Matilda McHenry

Oramil McHenry
Oramil McHenry